Friday, February 26, 2010

Shantaram

Shantaram Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I didn't have to finish reading the book to rate it a 5 starrer. Shantaram is not just a book its an experience, to say the least.
I does run the risk of sounding lame from the literary point of view, also can be rightly blamed of making the protagonist look like a hero(from a Bollywood movie in some places)in most situations concerning him. As some people point out, perhaps, the character of Lin could have been made more imperfect and more human, I don't see how not doing that has in anyway reduced the significance of the character's experiences.

Besides, being an Indian myself, I acknowledge the fact that while most books written about India by foreign authors stop at romanticizing the poverty, this one has gone beyond and found honesty,intensity and individuality in the people(most of it by being one of them). I respect that.

Considering its a true story, as exaggerated as it might have been, this book is not to be missed!!

View all my reviews >>

No comments: